The Miocene Mystery

FOR SCIENCE!
JDaileyGreatLakes

Re: The Miocene Mystery

Post by JDaileyGreatLakes » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:20 am

Make the Eocene not hot and wet? I thought a global climate that is hot and wet is what allows an explosion of diversity to happen. It seemed the case in the Eocene, and again in the Miocene.

I didn't stop the Permian extinction--just delayed it, toned it down and gave it a different style.

Prudentia

Re: The Miocene Mystery

Post by Prudentia » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:35 am

JDaileyGreatLakes wrote:Make the Eocene not hot and wet? I thought a global climate that is hot and wet is what allows an explosion of diversity to happen. It seemed the case in the Eocene, and again in the Miocene.

I didn't stop the Permian extinction--just delayed it, toned it down and gave it a different style.
Any global climate allows for an explosion of diversity, just in different places. A hot and wet climate creates an explosion of diversity in the tropics, but also tends to create equally large deserts. While a cold and dry climate creates plenty of diversification for areas above or below 60 N/S respectively.

Also depends on the continental layout. In a more ancient continental layout, there were a lot of inland seas, these create opportunities for moisture. Compared to being in the center of a continent or surrounded by mountains like Kansas or Nevada.
Black Rockfish, Sebastes melanops, ~12 inches, of the coast of Newport, Oregon.