The Big Chill

FOR SCIENCE!
JDaileyGreatLakes

The Big Chill

Post by JDaileyGreatLakes » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:11 pm

Five million years ago, the warm Miocene descended into the chilly Pliocene before dropping to the frigid Pleistocene. This drop in temperature was so gradual that life soldiered on with no obvious signs of global catastrophe.

But in this alternate scenario, no such in-between existed, and five million years ago, the warm Miocene dropped straight down into the frigid Pleistocene. I've asked a question in a few different forums, and the answer ends up the same--yes, such a dramatic drop in global temperature is a potential for causing a mass extinction.

So who would bite the dust? What orders and families of plants and animals would die out if there were such a sudden, drastic change in the environment five million years ago?

20 characters!

Re: The Big Chill

Post by 20 characters! » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:11 am

JDaileyGreatLakes wrote:Five million years ago, the warm Miocene descended into the chilly Pliocene before dropping to the frigid Pleistocene. This drop in temperature was so gradual that life soldiered on with no obvious signs of global catastrophe.

But in this alternate scenario, no such in-between existed, and five million years ago, the warm Miocene dropped straight down into the frigid Pleistocene. I've asked a question in a few different forums, and the answer ends up the same--yes, such a dramatic drop in global temperature is a potential for causing a mass extinction.

So who would bite the dust? What orders and families of plants and animals would die out if there were such a sudden, drastic change in the environment five million years ago?
I don't know, Lets say most of the elephantoids, and fresh water fish in the north And south. I'm curious if you ever plan to start a game or if you just want to do Spanky those scenarios, because while we all do appreciate speculative evolution scenarios here, a lot of yours have been… Somewhat distant from plausibility, if I'm going to be really really nice and kind to you this time. Hominids might be more succesful in this timeline with more grasslands being opened up worldwide and with lots of corpses being available for a little while. They likely be bulkier more turnovers than the humans of our timeline though, so just keep that in mind.

But first you have to explain what could cause such a sudden drop in temperature.
youtubeuserSara3346
20 characters! wrote:*explodes into a gore shower
combi2 wrote: ... thought that all cows could produce unlimited antibodies,boy am i a retard.
combi2 wrote:you can`t thats not how humans work
Grockstar wrote:Bats it is then. They are the poor man's snake.
ImageImageImage

Grockstar

Post by Grockstar » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:09 am

20 characters! wrote:
JDaileyGreatLakes wrote:Five million years ago, the warm Miocene descended into the chilly Pliocene before dropping to the frigid Pleistocene. This drop in temperature was so gradual that life soldiered on with no obvious signs of global catastrophe.

I don't know, Lets say most of the elephantoids, and fresh water fish in the north And south. I'm curious if you ever plan to start a game or if you just want to do Spanky those scenarios, because while we all do appreciate speculative evolution scenarios here, a lot of yours have been… Somewhat distant from plausibility, if I'm going to be really really nice and kind to you this time. Hominids might be more succesful in this timeline with more grasslands being opened up worldwide and with lots of corpses being available for a little while. They likely be bulkier more turnovers than the humans of our timeline though, so just keep that in mind.

But first you have to explain what could cause such a sudden drop in temperature.
Toba and Laki both caused little ages when they erupted. Maybe multiple supervolcanos go off at once?

In that case, a lot of megafauna would probably die. Hominids, if they survived, would probably become more plant-based in the long term. Assuming this Pleistocene is the length of the Pliocene and regular Pleistocene, marsupials may be replaced in Australia assuming the sea levels stay low enough for placentals to island hop easier.
Just Monika.

Now uses she/her pronouns. Please, call me Lily!

Official Moderator on the Species Discord, Queen of the Weebs!

JDaileyGreatLakes

Post by JDaileyGreatLakes » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:57 am

Grockstar wrote:Toba and Laki both caused little ages when they erupted. Maybe multiple supervolcanos go off at once?

Not really. For one thing, even the largest volcanic eruptions last only six to ten years. Hardly long enough to plunge Earth into five million years' worth of ice ages.

20 characters!

Post by 20 characters! » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:11 am

JDaileyGreatLakes wrote:
Grockstar wrote:Toba and Laki both caused little ages when they erupted. Maybe multiple supervolcanos go off at once?

Not really. For one thing, even the largest volcanic eruptions last only six to ten years. Hardly long enough to plunge Earth into five million years' worth of ice ages.
So what are proposing happened then?
youtubeuserSara3346
combi2 wrote: ... thought that all cows could produce unlimited antibodies,boy am i a retard.
ImageImageImage

JDaileyGreatLakes

Post by JDaileyGreatLakes » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:15 am

Why do you always quote? Why can't you just reply?

20 characters!

Post by 20 characters! » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:01 am

JDaileyGreatLakes wrote:Why do you always quote? Why can't you just reply?
Because I like the noification system.
youtubeuserSara3346
ImageImageImage