Any insights into a possible experiment

FOR SCIENCE!
Post Reply
Chippy
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:09 pm

Any insights into a possible experiment

Post by Chippy » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:41 pm

Hey, I'm interested in the mechanics of evolution and am doing it as part of my biology course I plan to carry a personal experiment into selective breeding with plants, to investigate the possibility of adaptations in the population taking part in the experiment. I wonder if anyone could give me a name of a plant which can flower and produce seeds rapidly, while requiring a temperate climate? I plan to control the environment to create the conditions of flowering and seeding seasons accordingly.

User avatar
20 characters!
Posts: 19203
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:08 am
Location: North America, the best and worst bit of it.
Contact:

Re: Any insights into a possible experiment

Post by 20 characters! » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:43 pm

Why not use dandelions? I'm serious by the way, they seem to do well in most climates, and flower blooming and seed rapidly.
youtubeuserSara3346
20 characters! wrote:*explodes into a gore shower
combi2 wrote: ... thought that all cows could produce unlimited antibodies,boy am i a retard.
combi2 wrote:you can`t thats not how humans work
Grockstar wrote:Bats it is then. They are the poor man's snake.
ImageImageImage

Chippy
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:09 pm

Re: Any insights into a possible experiment

Post by Chippy » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:26 pm

Thanks! Yeah some people I asked said Dandelions, other people said Daises and one said Water Cress, but Dandelions might be more hardier than the rest.

User avatar
Prudentia
Posts: 3947
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:56 am

Re: Any insights into a possible experiment

Post by Prudentia » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:12 pm

Chippy wrote:Thanks! Yeah some people I asked said Dandelions, other people said Daises and one said Water Cress, but Dandelions might be more hardier than the rest.
I've worked with water cress before and it is pretty easy to work with, but they may not get enough light inside. How long do you plan on continuing this experiment, and pressures are you going to apply? Because depending on those, you may not see results for a few years or so.
Also it would be fare to warn you, that you may not be able to completely or 100% accurately mimic the seasons. Resetting circadian rhythms is tricky and easily spoiled.
Black Rockfish, Sebastes melanops, ~12 inches, of the coast of Newport, Oregon.

Chippy
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:09 pm

Re: Any insights into a possible experiment

Post by Chippy » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:01 pm

Ah, I planned to continue it until I felt I had achieved some acceptable results, basically indefinitely, but I am happy to continue it for years. I plan to simulate light using coloured LEDs while growing the plants in a warming tray under a frame with a covering, with the LEDs under the covering, all inside a greenhouse. I'm still in planning so I'm happy to change the conditions to meet the required light, temperature and so forth. The pressure would by only allowing the first 5 (number may change) plants which successfully germinate from a batch, to continue growing and reproduce.

User avatar
CatFish21sm
Posts: 391
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:37 pm

Re: Any insights into a possible experiment

Post by CatFish21sm » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:45 am

Chippy wrote:Ah, I planned to continue it until I felt I had achieved some acceptable results, basically indefinitely, but I am happy to continue it for years. I plan to simulate light using coloured LEDs while growing the plants in a warming tray under a frame with a covering, with the LEDs under the covering, all inside a greenhouse. I'm still in planning so I'm happy to change the conditions to meet the required light, temperature and so forth. The pressure would by only allowing the first 5 (number may change) plants which successfully germinate from a batch, to continue growing and reproduce.
This is a little late (about a year), but it sounds like you're going for fewer but larger seeds, yes?
"So players are walking along, one player is being a cock, magical rocks scream out of the sky and flatten them and due to the beauty and amazement of seeing something like that everyone else in the party levels up."

User avatar
20 characters!
Posts: 19203
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:08 am
Location: North America, the best and worst bit of it.
Contact:

Re: Any insights into a possible experiment

Post by 20 characters! » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:17 pm

CatFish21sm wrote:
Chippy wrote:Ah, I planned to continue it until I felt I had achieved some acceptable results, basically indefinitely, but I am happy to continue it for years. I plan to simulate light using coloured LEDs while growing the plants in a warming tray under a frame with a covering, with the LEDs under the covering, all inside a greenhouse. I'm still in planning so I'm happy to change the conditions to meet the required light, temperature and so forth. The pressure would by only allowing the first 5 (number may change) plants which successfully germinate from a batch, to continue growing and reproduce.
This is a little late (about a year), but it sounds like you're going for fewer but larger seeds, yes?
I don't think he's going to respond, my wonderful fellow necromancer?
youtubeuserSara3346
20 characters! wrote:*explodes into a gore shower
combi2 wrote: ... thought that all cows could produce unlimited antibodies,boy am i a retard.
combi2 wrote:you can`t thats not how humans work
Grockstar wrote:Bats it is then. They are the poor man's snake.
ImageImageImage

User avatar
CatFish21sm
Posts: 391
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:37 pm

Re: Any insights into a possible experiment

Post by CatFish21sm » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:25 pm

20 characters! wrote:
CatFish21sm wrote:
This is a little late (about a year), but it sounds like you're going for fewer but larger seeds, yes?
I don't think he's going to respond, my wonderful fellow necromancer?
So, you've found me out have you? In that case, you have two options... Join us, or die!
Well, I guess you're gonna do both either way, it's more or less just the order that you want to follow...
Mwahahahahahahahahaaa!!!

Image
"So players are walking along, one player is being a cock, magical rocks scream out of the sky and flatten them and due to the beauty and amazement of seeing something like that everyone else in the party levels up."

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest