Help Desk- Any questions? Or game debates?

FOR SCIENCE!
20 characters!

Re: Help Desk- Any questions? Or game debates?

Post by 20 characters! » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:17 pm

Any ideas what the opposite of mycelium might be?
youtubeuserSara3346
20 characters! wrote:*explodes into a gore shower
combi2 wrote: ... thought that all cows could produce unlimited antibodies,boy am i a retard.
combi2 wrote:you can`t thats not how humans work
Grockstar wrote:Bats it is then. They are the poor man's snake.
ImageImageImage

Alexcat989

Post by Alexcat989 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:54 pm

20 characters! wrote:Any ideas what the opposite of mycelium might be?
A tumor. May be wrong though.
SCREW YOU I AM THE ARCH-EMPOROR
Staff of the Official Discord
Uses Cate/Cates pronouns

Prudentia

Post by Prudentia » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:59 pm

20 characters! wrote:Any ideas what the opposite of mycelium might be?
Something with less surface area. More or less. Though such a structure is likely the ancestral, and not sure how you could reduce the surface area, aside reducing the SA:V ration which would require making it bigger. While giving it more surface area, it also increase the volume; which can be problematic at the far end of extremity (including death).
Black Rockfish, Sebastes melanops, ~12 inches, of the coast of Newport, Oregon.

Grockstar

Post by Grockstar » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:12 pm

What exactly determines if a gene is dominant or recessive? As in, what determines if you need one or two copies of the gene for the trait to be expressed?
Just Monika.

Now uses she/her pronouns. Please, call me Lily!

Official Moderator on the Species Discord, Queen of the Weebs!

Alexcat989

Post by Alexcat989 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:43 pm

Grockstar wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:12 pm
What exactly determines if a gene is dominant or recessive? As in, what determines if you need one or two copies of the gene for the trait to be expressed?
I believe epigenetics but take that with a gallon of high salinity brine.
SCREW YOU I AM THE ARCH-EMPOROR
Staff of the Official Discord
Uses Cate/Cates pronouns

Prudentia

Post by Prudentia » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:27 am

Grockstar wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:12 pm
The trait itself that is produced. Products from both genes are produced, but if one gene functions normally and the other doesn't, two scenarios are possible. Mixed phenotype in which the dominant product does not fully mask the recessive. Straight hair is dominant over curly, but if you one allele for each, then you usually have wavy hair. If you have one normal RBC gene, and one sickle cell anemia gene, you will have both normal, and sickle RBCs.

But with most traits, the dominant allele will mask the physical appearance of the recessive, but the recessive products will still be made in your body, and still used. Epigenetics can change how their are expressed, which is why your eye color shifts throughout your life.

Basically, it all comes down to the effectiveness of the allele products. Usually (to my knowledge) the most energy efficient products are dominant.

Prudentia

Post by Prudentia » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:50 pm

So, in my BOT lab yesterday, we were looking through compost and catagorising the insects we say. I found something wierd, unfortunately, I have no pictures of it but I can describe it.

Found several but most were damaged. The most intact one has 11-12 segments, each segment had two dorsal, sinistral, and dextral rows of spines, which in turn had smaller spines of them. No legs, so my lab partners and I thought that it was a pupa, but it had an anus, and a mouth (well they were just two holes, one at either end of the body). Not sure which was which. One end tapered into something that looked like a beetle's head, the other, ended in a rounded shape. It was dark brown. At the rounded end it has two protrusions that had three fingers, the innermost was the second longest, the middle was the longest, and the outer one was the shortest. These faced the round end, but there was one extension that faced the beetle head, it pointed more up, was really short, and had a black tip ( in all specimens). Further at the beetle head end, it had something that looked like external gills, with six fingers.

The beetle head, had no spines, the 2,3 segments had straight spines, while the rest curved back, along the body, heading toward the round end. The body was scaly, while the last one or two segments at the round end were completely smooth. The spines from those segments also reach and around to the underside of the body. The (Presumed) ventral side had no features whatsoever aside from the segments and the anus/mouth (again, the two orifices looked the same).

We found six of them, the smallest was about .75-1 mm or so. It looked sunken, more like an empty skin than desiccation. The biggest one was 5-7 mm in length and the most intact. The big one was smaller than the fly larva we found, but the smaller ones were way too big to be springtails.

The professor had already left, and the TA isn't a bug person, so she didn't know. The other organisms we found were fly larva, and maybe a beetle larva (much, much bigger than the hell bug). Could have also been a fly larva. We settled for marking it as a mystery guest, because "demon bug from hell" wasn't much of a viable option.

Any one have any ideas? As to what it is? Pretty sure that normal pupae do not have mouth and anus holes. Also pretty sure that beetle larva of the same species do not differ drastically in size when pupating.

20 characters!

Post by 20 characters! » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:36 pm

And what on earth makes you think that it is a beetle?

Sound to me like a scale bug adult female sans the external cuticle.

Alternatively it sounds a bit like a female strepispteran or even a parasitic fly larvea(why else would it have such spines?)
youtubeuserSara3346
combi2 wrote: ... thought that all cows could produce unlimited antibodies,boy am i a retard.
ImageImageImage

Prudentia

Post by Prudentia » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:07 am

20 characters! wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:36 pm

Alternatively it sounds a bit like a female strepispteran or even a parasitic fly larvea(why else would it have such spines?)
Well it had a beetle head like end. Do any of them lack lack legs and eyes entirely? Did not see eye on this guy, which is what made me think Pupae, though the smaller ones looked similar (aside from all of the damage, and they were vastly smaller).

20 characters!

Post by 20 characters! » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:27 am

Prudentia wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:07 am
20 characters! wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:36 pm

Well it had a beetle head like end. Do any of them lack lack legs and eyes entirely? Did not see eye on this guy, which is what made me think Pupae, though the smaller ones looked similar (aside from all of the damage, and they were vastly smaller).
Adult femal strespisptearns lack legs and eyes and have noticeable heads manny parasitic flies have those finds of spines and I thought of scale insects because they are sessile later in life and lack, again eyes and legs.

I'll tell you one thing, that doesn't sound like a pupa at all.
youtubeuserSara3346
ImageImageImage