Help Desk- Any questions? Or game debates?

FOR SCIENCE!
Prudentia

Help Desk- Any questions? Or game debates?

Post by Prudentia » Mon May 04, 2015 10:46 pm

Yes I am necroing this, too bad Ewery1, it is being recomissioned and refitted. I think that having a dedicated thread where GMs or even anyone can come and ask for help with votes, the ideas if a vote is too confusing and must be punished for getting a low roll. And again debates on scientific realism, like plantimals. I totally clogged one of my own games instead of bringing it here. Need help with some school subject, post below.
The Help Desk will be open ended, so any can answer, but please, provide some sources if you can when answering anything.
Sometimes, it might help to bounce ideas off of someone. Chances are someone would be fine with that, so you can pm them and bounce ideas off them, until something resonates with you, even if it is above their heads.

If you are a GM and a result to a vote is puzzling you, but you don't want some one to know, find somebody you trust and shoot them a PM, see if they are willing to help.

I would appreciate it if those who are willing to help consistently (effectively staff on the help desk) would send me a PM containing a list of things that they would be comfortable helping out with. Include a description about yourself if you want, I don't care. But do state weather or not you are open to PMs.

Prudentia: I will try to help with anything I can, but my premise is mostly biology. I know a small amount about most other things though. I am fine with PMs.
Last edited by Prudentia on Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Black Rockfish, Sebastes melanops, ~12 inches, of the coast of Newport, Oregon.

Tiberius

Re: Biological wonders

Post by Tiberius » Mon May 04, 2015 11:01 pm

Why are Archaebacteria and Eubacteria different domains, I understand why they have different kingdoms but just one component of a cell wall and extreme environments really doesn't seem like enough to differentiation for different domains

Prudentia

Post by Prudentia » Mon May 04, 2015 11:08 pm

Tiberius wrote:Why are Archaebacteria and Eubacteria different domains, I understand why they have different kingdoms but just one component of a cell wall and extreme environments really doesn't seem like enough to differentiation for different domains
Cellular processes are different. Archeans use RNA instead ofDNA, it is stored in one circular chromosome rather than multiple linear one. They are a mix of Eukaryotic and prokaryotic traits as well as some unique ones.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archaea#Or ... _evolution

27-05-2015-I just took something stupid I appear to have typed without realizing it. Then argued for it in my sleep deprived state. Thanks to Therminator for catching that.
Last edited by Prudentia on Wed May 27, 2015 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Therminator

Post by Therminator » Wed May 27, 2015 11:16 am

Archeans use RNA instead of DNA
Wut wut wut?! They have DNA genomes that are transcribed to RNA just like everyone else (except some RNA viruses).

Metabolically and morphologically, they resemble bacteria, but their transcription and translation machinery is much more like that of eukaryotes.
And just like eukaryotes and eubacteria, they live everywhere, not just in extreme environments.
And it's not the cell wall that is different, it's the double-layered membrane: they use a completely different ether molecule instead of the ester lipids we have.
But on the whole, they are a mix of different traits from bacteria and eukarya, and plenty of their own. tRNA phylogeny also points to them deserving their own grouping.

Prudentia

Post by Prudentia » Wed May 27, 2015 12:37 pm

Therminator wrote:
Archeans use RNA instead of DNA
Wut wut wut?! They have DNA genomes that are transcribed to RNA just like everyone else (except some RNA viruses).

Metabolically and morphologically, they resemble bacteria, but their transcription and translation machinery is much more like that of eukaryotes.
And just like eukaryotes and eubacteria, they live everywhere, not just in extreme environments.
And it's not the cell wall that is different, it's the double-layered membrane: they use a completely different ether molecule instead of the ester lipids we have.
But on the whole, they are a mix of different traits from bacteria and eukarya, and plenty of their own. tRNA phylogeny also points to them deserving their own grouping.
All prokaryotes use RNA as their hereditery molecule. Yes they do live everywhere, but they usually do not compete well against other prokaryotes and eukaryotes. The vast majority though are exxtremophiles, and even many of the ones that are not are still obligate anaerobes. Their cell wall actually is different as well. They actually do have their group. It is considered that they split off of some ancient proto eukaryote.

Therminator

Post by Therminator » Wed May 27, 2015 12:53 pm

Ok, I was a little fast with that reply, and of course the cell wall is different as well. My point is that the membrane change is more fundamental, seeing that you have such big differences in cell walls within bacteria.

But this:
All prokaryotes use RNA as their hereditery molecule
is completely wrong. Very very wrong. In all cells DNA is the hereditary molecule, acting as a double stranded template for RNA transcription, which is then functional as tRNA, rRNA etc, or translated as mRNA.

At no point is there a replicating cell without DNA. Where did you get that idea from??
Neither single stranded nor double stranded RNA is ever used as hereditary info except for viruses, which are not cells.

Prudentia

Post by Prudentia » Wed May 27, 2015 2:18 pm

Therminator wrote:Ok, I was a little fast with that reply, and of course the cell wall is different as well. My point is that the membrane change is more fundamental, seeing that you have such big differences in cell walls within bacteria.

But this:
All prokaryotes use RNA as their hereditery molecule
is completely wrong. Very very wrong. In all cells DNA is the hereditary molecule, acting as a double stranded template for RNA transcription, which is then functional as tRNA, rRNA etc, or translated as mRNA.

At no point is there a replicating cell without DNA. Where did you get that idea from??
Neither single stranded nor double stranded RNA is ever used as hereditary info except for viruses, which are not cells.
Holy crap thank you for catching that. I should stop thinking when I am tired. I do not know where I got the idea of prokayotes using RNA for hereditary. Odd considering some months ago I had the same argument with some one else who thought what I did inexplicably.
Any one have a spare shock collar? I need to shock myself any time I think something stupid.

Therminator

Post by Therminator » Wed May 27, 2015 2:28 pm

Haha, well, we all make stupid mistakes sometimes.
Just be careful when posting them on the internet :D :D

At least now I'm reassured that you don't believe it (albeit slightly disturbed that other people do, if your anecdote is correct)

Ewery1

Post by Ewery1 » Wed May 27, 2015 2:35 pm

Doesn't it have something to do with lacking/having peptidoglycan in cell walls as well? Anyways to directly answer the question, Archaebacteria have the Domain Archae and the Kingdom Archaebacteria whereas Eubacteria have the Domain Bacteria and the Kingdom Eubacteria.
Last edited by Ewery1 on Wed May 27, 2015 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Misspelled peptidoglycan
- Your local Red Panda with way too much power
Yasahiro wrote:Then improve the amphibity.... It's a word now, I made it.
Join my new classic competition game!

They're all grown up!
Image Image Image

Tiberius

Post by Tiberius » Wed May 27, 2015 11:07 pm

Ewery1 wrote:Doesn't it have something to do with lacking/having peptidoglycan in cell walls as well? Anyways to directly answer the question, Archaebacteria have the Domain Archae and the Kingdom Archaebacteria whereas Eubacteria have the Domain Bacteria and the Kingdom Eubacteria.
Right, but for all the other kingdoms a difference in the composition of cell walls is only enough to differ a kingdom not a domain and that isn't an answer to the question I asked