0.4.1 Development Thread

Announcements and infodumps from the Species dev team.
Quasar
Site Admin

Re: 0.4.1 Development Thread

Post by Quasar » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:27 pm

Alright, lookin' better now. AI fixes are often boring (most of them are fixing of new bugs introduced when I fixed the old bugs anyway), so I'll talk about the fun ones.

I've decoupled mutation from the global mutation rate, allowing each creature to mutate by a different amount, starting at the global mutation rate at birth. I'm also considering making mutation slowly increase as a function of age.

I also decided to implement the Rad Gun differently: rather than click/bam like with attacking and feeding, you actually have to hold your mouse down over them to irradiate them, and they glow more-and-more orange the longer you hold it.

This was a good decision: even though it's kinda silly, it makes you feel like you're actively microwaving the little bastards.

Reprieve

Post by Reprieve » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:06 pm

How does this variable mutation rate impact the game? Hopefully creatures won't suddenly grow larger heads halfway through their lives. Does it simply mean that their offspring may have more mutations than expected?

Icefire

Post by Icefire » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:08 pm

I think that's correct, the offspring will have more mutations. Not sure though

Quasar
Site Admin

Post by Quasar » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:21 am

Yep, that's it. Later I may implement the more realistic effects of radiation, like cancer and radiation poisoning, but at the moment it has absolutely no influence on the creature who 'owns' it. It's the offspring who get the genetic defects and twice as many eyes.

It's the same with mating and gene-splicing: a virgin creature is in all ways identical to a non-virgin, but the offspring will be affected.

Icefire

Post by Icefire » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:44 pm

I'm actually kind of nervous.Given the head/eye rotation is supposed to make them look like they are thinking, and coupled with the wierd creatures I've seen... lol

Quasar
Site Admin

Post by Quasar » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:36 am

Brief update!

Currently working on highlight filters. The theory behind these is simple: you select a statistic like Size or Diet or Limb_1_Tip_Damage from the pulldown menu, and it analyses and highlights all the creatures with a spectrum, going from minimum to maximum. The current spectrum is blue-green-red (similar to the fertility map). I'm thinking of making more than one spectrum.

This might not seem like a big deal compared to gene splicing and radiation guns, but the gameplay potential for it is surprisingly deep. The only way to manage Artificial Selection prior to this has been to search the population for a creature which looks like above or below average, then kill everyone else and feed that one up, and repeat. Way too much work.

This addition makes it much easier: hunt the creatures which are blue and feed the creatures which are red to increase the stat (or vice versa to decrease).

Reprieve

Post by Reprieve » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:34 pm

MORE TOOLTIPS PLEASE.

Quasar
Site Admin

Post by Quasar » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:37 pm

Tooltips for what? Currently I've got basic nametips for the interaction tools, and descriptions for the stats... do you want more detailed tool-descriptions, tool-tips for the newworld/options menu buttons, or something else?

Skylimit

Post by Skylimit » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:55 pm

As there will an import/export function, maybe it would also be useful to have an upload directory, which is read at the start
During generate of a new world, you can then set e.g. 250 creatures, of which 50 are taken from the upload directory and 200 are randomized

Siddharth

Post by Siddharth » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:15 am

u can add a gene modifier like we use today in biotechs