0.10.0 Released!

Announcements and infodumps from the Species dev team.
Quasar
Site Admin

0.10.0 Released!

Post by Quasar » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:33 pm

It’s here! Species 0.10.0, aka. the “Predator and Prey” update (because, among the other changes, I finally fixed the problems that made hunting an impossible survival strategy).

http://www.speciesgame.com/download

Features!

Initialise Predator and Prey: This option starts you off with a simple but mostly-functional two-species ecosystem to start your evolution from. Find it under the “Starting Creatures” dropdown on the New World page.

Temperature: click on any creature to see it’s internal and external temperature, relative to it’s ideal temperature. This will gradually change relative to their insulation, mass and warm-bloodedness.

Stamina: This shows up as a yellow bar underneath health (the green/red bar) and food (the blue bar). Doing stuff like sprinting and attacking will gradually exhaust creatures over time. This is tied intimately to the temperature simulation: an internal temperature that is too cold or hot reduces their maximum stamina and causes them to tire more quickly.

Litter Sizes and Pregnancy Length: About time we got to see some r/k-selection pressures. Species can now decide if they want to invest in individual children, or just spit out as many as they possibly can.

Multiselect: for all your bulk move, feed and murder requirements. Drag a box around the creatures you want to select and then click the tool buttons to use them on the selection.

Context Sensitive UI: Remember the Creature/Species/Ecosystem modes? Remember how awful they were? For the uninitiated, they were really awful. Just… so awful, you have no idea. But don’t worry, they’re dead now. They can’t hurt you anymore. Long live context sensitivity!

Better Water/Underwater Effects: They’re pretty! And possibly a hint about an upcoming feature. But mainly pretty!

Better Grazing: grazing creatures leave little ant trails behind them! This is super cool and also awesome.

Denser Forests: by default, that is. The changes to the vegetation system mean that creatures will find it a lot harder to kill off entire forests. Of course, you can still mess with the settings on the New World page if you want to encourage grazers.

Fruit: even the tall tree’s are edible to low-to-the-ground creatures now, once the fruit drops. Eating fruit doesn’t hurt the tree, which is part of the reason the forests are so much hardier now.

Bug fixes and minor improvements: Just a whole bunch of stuff. Fixed that bug that corrupted your save after a few hours when you made use of the Nursery. Added a really subtle particle system for seeds, changed the fire effects, added a camera icon on the sat map, consistant-ized the Temperature units, and made dozens of minor tweaks to the game’s balance and the creature’s AI. You get the idea. Lots of little things.

It’s a whole new world out there! I hope you like it.

Cheers,

Quasar

Fireking883

Re: 0.10.0 Released!

Post by Fireking883 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:44 am

Alright, this update has brought me back.
For the past couple years, I have periodically checked this website and stalked the forums a bit, but I feel the need to say something:
Good job.
I know how difficult it can be to work on this, and, even though it can seem slow, I know that both I and many other people appreciate your effort. I'm endlessly happy that this update came out and can't wait to try it out, but before that I just felt the need to say thanks.

Alright, back to stalking.

P.S: Fixing the nursery bug corruption thing is the single best bugfix I have seen for any game since the beginning of time. Now my creatures can finally evolve in peace.
Neovenator wrote:The end of this game will probably be Fireking accidentally poisoning spacetime and killing us all.

TentacledTunicate
Location: Typing from a waterplanet, far far away, inhabited by intelligent, tentacled tunicates.

Post by TentacledTunicate » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:47 pm

Fantastic.

Quite frankly, I've been yearning for such an update for a long while, and this is the best Christmas present you could have to offer. Thank you so much for your work on this project - I truly respect it, and now I have to try this out! :mrgreen:
That is a blue bell tunicate in my profile image...

I support creating a Creature Forwards/Backwards Compatibility Mod (CFBCM) and New Crash-Resistant Creature Editor (NCRC)! Read: http://www.speciesgame.com/forum/viewto ... =25&t=2013

Quasar
Site Admin

Post by Quasar » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:37 am

:) Glad it's working for you. Let me know if there's anything that needs fixing! Also, I completely agree: screw the nursery bug corruption thing.

I'm also picking up the pace for future updates: I'll be aiming to release 0.11.0 sometime in Quarter 2 next year, and it's only that far off because I intend to make 0.11.0 an update to remember. :)

Will have to do a blog post detailing my evil plans.

docsy

Post by docsy » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:54 am

Hey, I loved this update and I love that you're still working on this. The game's gotten a lot more interesting for me since this updates, little quirks that annoyed me have vanished and made it a lot more enjoyable, and fun new features opened up too. Good stuff man, keep it up and you'll have a fine game on your hands.

Overlord Laharl

Post by Overlord Laharl » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:04 pm

Thank you for the update. I'm looking forward to observe your further development of your game.

In the meantime, I'll send you a donation to your PayPal account.

Hulkninja

Post by Hulkninja » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:55 am

This is a gift most welcome! Good work Qu! Already looking forward to the next update, and eventually the steam release!

naturegirl1999

Post by naturegirl1999 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:18 am

unfortunately when I started a world with around 50 creatures with a 400 creature cap, the game thinks the population is capped on startup
I'm gonna put the last thing I copied here. Will change each time I visit for variety
Korobeiniki