An Update

Announcements and infodumps from the Species dev team.
smexyfish45

Re: An Update

Post by smexyfish45 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:30 pm

Quasar wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:47 am
Back again.

I'll avoid going into the reasons for my latest hiatus, but I will say it was an internet-only hiatus this time.

Development has continued, somewhat slowly due to the nature of the features I'm working on, but continued nonetheless. I also wrote a few blog posts that I never got around to adding screenshots to and publishing. I'll try and do something about that.

PS: building a working ecosystem, even one with only two species, is haaard.
Is it the predator prey interactions?
If so, do you think variable litter sizes would help? If the prey items are having, say....3 kids a pregnancy, then a larger proportion of the prey population is going to be made up of babies (easy prey) this would give struggling carnivores a chance. These babies would also provide a buffer, letting the prey population recover from predation more easily.

Natural_20

Post by Natural_20 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:32 pm

smexyfish45 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:30 pm
Quasar wrote:
Back again.

I'll avoid going into the reasons for my latest hiatus, but I will say it was an internet-only hiatus this time.

Development has continued, somewhat slowly due to the nature of the features I'm working on, but continued nonetheless. I also wrote a few blog posts that I never got around to adding screenshots to and publishing. I'll try and do something about that.

If so, do you think variable litter sizes would help? If the prey items are having, say....3 kids a pregnancy, then a larger proportion of the prey population is going to be made up of babies (easy prey) this would give struggling carnivores a chance. These babies would also provide a buffer, letting the prey population recover from predation more easily.
I've been thinking for a long time that the game could use genes for litter size and energy passed to offspring. You need the energy gene to make large litters feasible.
Quasar wrote:Dammit, we forgot to sell the psycho drugs and now the chickens are ODing.

Prudentia

Post by Prudentia » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:03 pm

Natural_20 wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:32 pm
smexyfish45 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:30 pm
Quasar wrote:
Back again.

I've been thinking for a long time that the game could use genes for litter size and energy passed to offspring. You need the energy gene to make large litters feasible.
Or litter genes could be used to make a certain size more likely, with the final determination being energy and stress. The more energy and less stress an organism experiences, the more young. Stress can be correlated to health and stamina changes. Of stamina would only would as a measure if it was solely used for escaping predators or fighting in general.
Black Rockfish, Sebastes melanops, ~12 inches, of the coast of Newport, Oregon.

Natural_20

Post by Natural_20 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:55 am

Quasar wrote:
I totally haven't died in an inexplicable helicopter accident or something.
Please confirm.
Quasar wrote:Dammit, we forgot to sell the psycho drugs and now the chickens are ODing.

Grockstar

Post by Grockstar » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:56 am

Natural_20 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:55 am
Quasar wrote:
I totally haven't died in an inexplicable helicopter accident or something.
Please confirm.
He's confirmed on the Species Discord a couple weeks back he is alive and working on the update, it's apparently close but this is Qu so *shrugs*
Just Monika.

Now uses she/her pronouns. Please, call me Lily!

Official Moderator on the Species Discord, Queen of the Weebs!