An Update

Announcements and infodumps from the Species dev team.
White parrot

Re: An Update

Post by White parrot » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:22 pm

I'm quite impressed by the stamina system -simple yet accurate, elegant as always.
Quasar wrote:In real life, creatures sweat, pant and shiver… all of which are thermoregulation adaptations and have nothing to do with their internal temperature being non-optimal. How do creatures without these adaptations, reptiles and amphibions, respond to non-optimal temperatures?

They sleep. And there’s my answer: mild non-optimal temperatures should make creatures lethargic, and slow them down without actually hurting them or costing them energy.
I wonder how much of sleeping in hot circumstances is actually a thermoregulatory adaptation, though. Wouldn't lethargy be selected anyway, so as to minimize metabolic production of heat? How much is a physical inevitability and how much is evolved?
At the molecular level, cold slow down reactions directly, while heat technically speed them up but denature and destroy enzymes -for an overall slowing down. Lethargy is certainly a consequence in both case, but I can't help but wonder how this asymmetry in means could induce an asymmetry in effect. Freezing looks far more lethal than simply cooling down without the change of water state; molecular destruction by heat could be lethal faster than getting cold. Perhaps, I'm not sure. :? There's a deep rabbit hole to dig into, if so desired...

On a clearer note, gigantothermy (I like this word! :( ) is a two-way street, and I've heard that in elephants -which are big and stocky [citation needed] and thus have difficulty cooling down when needed- evolved their large and thin ears to partially counter their gigantothermy. You know what this means?...
Yes. More weird facial growth for creatures!!! :D :roll:
At this point, we shouldn't be surprised by anything nature does. She's like a meth addict whose drug-fueled rampages unfold in slow motion and span millions of years.
Silly Otter wrote:Welcome to the forum.
Please ignore the cultists.

Quasar
Site Admin

Post by Quasar » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:40 pm

... How much is a physical inevitability and how much is evolved?

At the molecular level, cold slow down reactions directly, while heat technically speed them up but denature and destroy enzymes-for an overall slowing down.

I'm going to have to factor this into my biochemistry model when I eventually get to implement it, aren't I? The only real difference due to this though (at least until the freezing/burning damage kicks in) would be that overheating wastes more resources.

Luckily, my plans for the biochemistry fit in pretty well with the stamina system. ATP generation translates directly into stamina, tying stamina to metabolism quite well.

Oh! I can't believe I forgot to mention in the blog: my "endothermism" gene is also tied to poikilothermy and optimal operating temperature, using this curve.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endotherm ... thermy.png

The "mouse" curve translates to an endothermism of 1.0, while the "lizard" curve translates to a 0.0 ectotherm. I've decided not to seperate them for now: internal temperature generation is quite difficult to 'read' in the simulation (it's not tied to skin type), so I don't want to overcomplicate it.
Yes. More weird facial growth for creatures!!! :D :roll:

Oh god the facial system. I'm not planning on fixing it for 0.10.0 (too big a job, and I have already road-mapped my plans for 0.10.0), but I really should get to it. Really I should overhaul the entire body plan system, but the heads and faces need particular attention. They're a mess.

Natural_20

Post by Natural_20 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:26 pm

Temperature tolerance has always been one of those weird things in Species; the creatures all seem like very sensitive ectotherms. This looks like a major improvement.
Quasar wrote:Dammit, we forgot to sell the psycho drugs and now the chickens are ODing.

20 characters!

Post by 20 characters! » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:42 pm

I happen to like the faces....except when I try and evolve a creature to have two eyes and it inevitably becomes a cyclops....:-/
youtubeuserSara3346
20 characters! wrote:*explodes into a gore shower
combi2 wrote: ... thought that all cows could produce unlimited antibodies,boy am i a retard.
combi2 wrote:you can`t thats not how humans work
Grockstar wrote:Bats it is then. They are the poor man's snake.
ImageImageImage

Therminator

Post by Therminator » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:23 pm

Oh cool, I'm going to take a look at the new blog entry as soon as I have time.

I remember thinking about this stuff a lot (I made a suggestion post called "temperature regulation" a year ago), so I'm very interested to see where you're taking this. I remember it wasn't easy, especially because of the heat flow physics and not over- or undercompensating for heat loss from doing stuff.

Hulkninja

Post by Hulkninja » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:53 pm

Quasar, during or after the release on 0.10.0, you could start working on a payed version of the game.
You know, move on to beta releases..? If the income from the beta gives you enough funds, you could hire someone to help you with the project/be able to take time off from your actual job (which i assume you have as you are the epitome of success) to work on Species.
Either way, super excited for 0.10.0, keep up the great work!

20 characters!

Post by 20 characters! » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:45 pm

Hulkninja wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:53 pm
Quasar, during or after the release on 0.10.0, you could start working on a payed version of the game.
You know, move on to beta releases..? If the income from the beta gives you enough funds, you could hire someone to help you with the project/be able to take time off from your actual job (which i assume you have as you are the epitome of success) to work on Species.
Either way, super excited for 0.10.0, keep up the great work!
Welcome back!
youtubeuserSara3346
20 characters! wrote:*explodes into a gore shower
combi2 wrote: ... thought that all cows could produce unlimited antibodies,boy am i a retard.
combi2 wrote:you can`t thats not how humans work
Grockstar wrote:Bats it is then. They are the poor man's snake.
ImageImageImage

Quasar
Site Admin

Post by Quasar » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:47 am

Back again.

I'll avoid going into the reasons for my latest hiatus, but I will say it was an internet-only hiatus this time.

Development has continued, somewhat slowly due to the nature of the features I'm working on, but continued nonetheless. I also wrote a few blog posts that I never got around to adding screenshots to and publishing. I'll try and do something about that.

PS: building a working ecosystem, even one with only two species, is haaard.

Grockstar

Post by Grockstar » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:05 am

Quasar wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:47 am
Back again.

I'll avoid going into the reasons for my latest hiatus, but I will say it was an internet-only hiatus this time.

Development has continued, somewhat slowly due to the nature of the features I'm working on, but continued nonetheless. I also wrote a few blog posts that I never got around to adding screenshots to and publishing. I'll try and do something about that.

Good to know you haven't died on us ;p
Just Monika.

Now uses she/her pronouns. Please, call me Lily!

Official Moderator on the Species Discord, Queen of the Weebs!

Natural_20

Post by Natural_20 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:49 am

Quasar wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:47 am
Back again.

Quasar fhtagn!

It's good just to hear from you again; I was getting worried.
Quasar wrote:Dammit, we forgot to sell the psycho drugs and now the chickens are ODing.