Return of the Wiki... Again.

Announcements and infodumps from the Species dev team.
Rubix30

Return of the Wiki... Again.

Post by Rubix30 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:43 pm

{ Forum member 1: "Who is this guy and why is he fixing the wiki?" - Forum member 2: "I don't even think he knows." }

Hello all, I figured this would be the place to make a thread and update my progress on the wiki. I randomly started to remodel the long malnourished thing because, well I don't know. Saw a need and got to work, I guess.

I am 6 days in and swear someone is putting amphetamines in my cigarettes while I'm not looking. I'm not stopping anytime soon. Not stopping making the wiki, as for the speed, someone has to stop this random Santa Claus.

Enough rambling on, the shadow people are here and they want a full report. So I'll get to it:

- Wiki Resurrection Schematics -

* 1.) Modified the 'Main' page by: including some grammatical adjustments, context arrangement adjustments, increased the specifics of the dialogue on the bullet point list, and rearranged and added pages to the navigation menu.

* 2.) Modified the 'Gameplay' page by: adding an introductory description, added necessary links to sub-pages and gave them a description.

*3.) Modified the 'Observation' page by: adding a introductory description, added necessary links to sub-pages and gave them descriptions.

*4.) Modified the 'Interaction page' by: adding an introductory description, added necessary links to sub-pages and gave them descriptions.

* 5.) Created and modified the 'Key Bindings' page by: creating the page, added all current game controls and informative descriptions about their use. All organized by function.

* 6.) Modified the 'Creature Tools' page by: adding an introductory description, modifying the descriptions of the already added tools to be more informative, adding needed tool descriptions.

* 7.) Created and modified the 'Climate Control Devices' page by: creating the page, adding an introductory description, added instructions on constructing a climate control device, added instructions for removing a climate control device.

* 8.) Modified the 'Rovers' page by: adding an introductory description, added instructions for creating a rover, added instructions for controlling a rover, and added instructions for deleting a rover.

* 9.) Modified the 'Fence' page by: adding and introductory description, and added instructions for creating a fence.

*10.) Modified the 'Simulation' page by: adding an introductory description, adding necessary links to sub-pages.

* 11.) Created and Modified the 'World' page by: creating the page, adding an introductory description, added necessary links to sub-pages and gave them descriptions.

*12.) Modified the [i']Biomes'[/i] page by: adding an introductory description.

* 13.) Created and Modified the 'Temperature' page by: creating the page, adding a description

* 14.) Created and Modified the 'Vegetation' page by: creating the page, adding an introductory description, adding a 'creatures and vegetation' description, adding instructions for adjusting vegetation options

*15.) Created and Modified the 'Water Level' page by: creating the page, added a description, added a pro tip ;)

* 16.) Modified the 'Evolution' page by: adding an introductory description, prepared the list for links(pages to be created soon!)

---------------------------------------------------------------

I will be working on the Observation section of pages next, most likely. During which, I will go back and edit/add/stare at all the pages I have already completed.

Now I know it's a wiki but, I BEG of you merciful kings and queens that you do not delete or troll any of my additions. Puh-Leeez don't hurt my very soul like that. :( I have poured all my information organization skills into this and not to mention many hours of my life now. Thank you for those who spare me agony.

If anyone has any suggestions for things, let me know and I will do what I can. As I'm still early in the project, I might already have your idea in mind or at least a version of it.

Much more to come for the wiki!(As long as I don't die in the meantime.) Watch for my update posts if you feel so inclined. And feedback about the work I do on it is much appreciated!

{ I still have no idea why I'm doing this. }
"Do I contradict myself?
Very well, then, I contradict myself;
I am large—I contain multitudes." - Walter Whitman, Leaves of Grass

Quasar
Site Admin

Re: Return of the Wiki... Again.

Post by Quasar » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:07 pm

I support this endeavor. Fixed the wiki logo to celebrate.

May it rise and consume all. Ia! Ia shub-wiki!
Last edited by Quasar on Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

20 characters!

Post by 20 characters! » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:07 pm

I will try not to destroy it, but if I can find any way to modify what you have said into something slightly funny or I will do so, please do not hate me for this, I will try to have it retain the same informational content regardless.
youtubeuserSara3346
20 characters! wrote:*explodes into a gore shower
combi2 wrote: ... thought that all cows could produce unlimited antibodies,boy am i a retard.
combi2 wrote:you can`t thats not how humans work
Grockstar wrote:Bats it is then. They are the poor man's snake.
ImageImageImage

Rubix30

Post by Rubix30 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:12 pm

That's fine 20Char, please just make sure the comedic relief fits the context and can be understood by a full-on noob, since the wiki is after-all, usually their first option for information.
"Do I contradict myself?

Rubix30

Post by Rubix30 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:18 pm

Quasar wrote:I support this endeavor. Fixed the wiki logo to celebrate.

Is there a such thing as admin privileges for this wiki? If so, could they be bestowed upon me in case I need to use them? I would be gentle.
"Do I contradict myself?

White parrot

Post by White parrot » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:27 pm

Rubix30 wrote:Now I know it's a wiki but, I BEG of you merciful kings and queens that you do not delete or troll any of my additions. Puh-Leeez don't hurt my very soul like that. :( I have poured all my information organization skills into this and not to mention many hours of my life now. Thank you for those who spare me agony.
Now that would just be mean. :evil:

Aaaand yet another eldritch abomination. :roll:

Rubix30 wrote:That's fine 20Char, please just make sure the comedic relief fits the context and can be understood by a full-on noob, since the wiki is after-all, usually their first option for information.
+1
Rubix30 wrote:

Is there a such thing as admin privileges for this wiki? If so, could they be bestowed upon me in case I need to use them? I would be gentle.
Supporting this. The wiki seem to have found a new lord.

Quick suggestions:
- put P. specium's stats on its page, possibly in a table. Admittedly that could be a lot of 0, but the whole list of adjectives could be entairtaining and make the animal more sympathetic to newcomers. :)
- The wiki of Dwarf Fortress has a section called "D for Dwarfy" at the bottom of some pages, where they put in-jokes humor and references to famous incidents. Perhaps something in the same spirit could be done to store non-game-related "trivias" (such as the cry of P. specium, or the alternate skin of the rovers, etc.)?
- put images! Screenshots, but if Quasar can free some time to dig up some graphical assets (or is it accessible in the files? I'm a noob in modding matters ...), we could have very neat illustrations.
- With the appropriate illustrations, we could perhaps make a page (or a serie) on the parts and their stats?
At this point, we shouldn't be surprised by anything nature does. She's like a meth addict whose drug-fueled rampages unfold in slow motion and span millions of years.
Silly Otter wrote:Welcome to the forum.
Please ignore the cultists.

Rubix30

Post by Rubix30 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:56 pm

White parrot wrote:- put P. specium's stats on its page, possibly in a table. Admittedly that could be a lot of 0, but the whole list of adjectives could be entertaining and make the animal more sympathetic to newcomers. :)
Roger that, I will be getting to it. I plan that the Primium Specium Page will be fairly long and info-packed, with an emphasis on humor since the other pages referring to creatures will be less humorous and more informative. - Along with that I want it to be a sort-of model for what a creature is, one could say, a biography and template for understanding creatures as 'living' things. All the while causing a sympathetic connection to the poor thing.
White parrot wrote:- The wiki of Dwarf Fortress has a section called "D for Dwarfy" at the bottom of some pages, where they put in-jokes humor and references to famous incidents. Perhaps something in the same spirit could be done to store non-game-related "trivias" (such as the cry of P. specium, or the alternate skin of the rovers, etc.)?
Absolutely, and was already thinking about earlier today. It is a must with Species. Maybe in a couple days I will be able to get to it. My main focus so far has been real content and structure building for anyone who visits it in the mean-time.
White parrot wrote:- put images! Screenshots, but if Quasar can free some time to dig up some graphical assets (or is it accessible in the files? I'm a noob in modding matters ...), we could have very neat illustrations.
Yes! I love images in wiki's! - I have some already saved, and plan to implement them sooner rather than later. Just that I can't play Species on my old decrepit computer so I have to wait for use of the other in my house, which cuts my time for getting images in half. Not to mention my time to actually play the game. Ugh.
White parrot wrote:- With the appropriate illustrations, we could perhaps make a page (or a serie) on the parts and their stats?
Brilliant Idea! Hehe, the hamster wheel is spinning. - This one will be a little further off in time, but is, to me, a must-do.

Thanks for the feedback WhiteParrot :)
"Do I contradict myself?

White parrot

Post by White parrot » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:20 pm

Rubix30 wrote:Thanks for the feedback WhiteParrot :)
Don't mention it. ;) That's the least I can do, I don't edit the wiki myself!
Rubix30 wrote:I plan that the Primium Specium Page will be fairly long and info-packed, with an emphasis on humor since the other pages referring to creatures will be less humorous and more informative.
Speaking of it, I doubt we'd really have "other creatures": P. specium is the only species assured to be present in all universes, but beyond that, divergent evolution ensures there will be no creature present in multiple games (OK, unless something become so popular everyone share it).
What we could have, on the other hand, is "niches": combinations of traits that work well enough that variations of them spontaneously converge in multiple games.
Having "niches" instead of true "species" would mean that the descriptions, while comporting the same elements, would probably include ranges of stats rather than being as absolute as the ones for P. specium ...
Rubix30 wrote:My main focus so far has been real content and structure building for anyone who visits it in the mean-time.
Well, of course! :roll:

Oh, I have another "far-reach" idea: a catalog of the most common or memorable types of bugs and exploit. "Snowball incident" (sudden glaciation usually provoked by the game forgetting the temp map), "meatpile" (sustainable mountain of dead and living creatures,the strategy tends to appear when carnivory is suspiciously beneficial. Extreme cases caused by bugs can lead to sustainable 100% carnivorous ecosystems, with the meatpile acting as an energy source on its own.) ... This kind of things. Could help sharing the small vocabulary that is sometime thrown around.
At this point, we shouldn't be surprised by anything nature does. She's like a meth addict whose drug-fueled rampages unfold in slow motion and span millions of years.
Silly Otter wrote:Welcome to the forum.
Please ignore the cultists.

Rubix30

Post by Rubix30 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:04 pm

White parrot wrote:Speaking of it, I doubt we'd really have "other creatures": P. specium is the only species assured to be present in all universes, but beyond that, divergent evolution ensures there will be no creature present in multiple games (OK, unless something become so popular everyone share it).
What we could have, on the other hand, is "niches": combinations of traits that work well enough that variations of them spontaneously converge in multiple games.
Having "niches" instead of true "species" would mean that the descriptions, while comporting the same elements, would probably include ranges of stats rather than being as absolute as the ones for P. specium ...
Ah, sorry about that, I was little vague there. I meant all the pages with information about creatures in general. Not as in other individual species. (Oh god, that would be a never ending nightmare..) - As for 'niches' that would be a really good page(s) for the more experienced players to indulge in. But the numbers...hmmm, do we have anything like that already? A half-assed list or something maybe? Probably not though. -- Still it's going in the idea pocket.
White parrot wrote:Oh, I have another "far-reach" idea: a catalog of the most common or memorable types of bugs and exploit. "Snowball incident" (sudden glaciation usually provoked by the game forgetting the temp map), "meatpile" (sustainable mountain of dead and living creatures,the strategy tends to appear when carnivory is suspiciously beneficial. Extreme cases caused by bugs can lead to sustainable 100% carnivorous ecosystems, with the meatpile acting as an energy source on its own.) ... This kind of things. Could help sharing the small vocabulary that is sometime thrown around.
Nice one. That will definitely be an entertaining page.
"Do I contradict myself?

Rubix30

Wiki Update

Post by Rubix30 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:49 am

So I managed to sneak past the sexy but snarky chick at the counter and get into the Species Nature Preserve. Upon doing so, I have managed to obtain some rare photographs of the complex and it's questionable operations. I have recorded these findings in our investigation documents and happened to correlate them with some info.

It's still a vague mystery as to what they are really doing in there. But so far we know it it involves small wheeled robots, chemical atmospheric alteration machines, oddly frail and shiny vegetation, and magical impenetrable fences. And we have image evidence of it all.

- Investigative Investigation Update -

1.) Added Images to pages
- Creature Tools
- Ecosystem Tools
- Climate Control Devices
- Rovers
- Fences
- Vegetation
- Main Page
- World

2.) Created 'Ecosystem Tools' Page.

3.) Re-formatted 'Key Bindings' Page.

4.) Added 'Removing a fence' to Fences page

5.) Added Forums and Blog link on the Main Page. Added more text content.
"Do I contradict myself?