0.12.0 Released to Experimental Branch

Announcements and infodumps from the Species dev team.
Quasar
Site Admin

0.12.0 Released to Experimental Branch

Post by Quasar » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:07 am

https://speciesdevblog.wordpress.com/20 ... l-release/
Early adopters rejoice! I’ve just put Species 0.12.0, the Multithreading Update, up on the Experimental Beta Branch on Steam!

0.12.0 adds multithreading to the underlying game engine, significantly increasing the performance (and Creature Count) of the game on computers with Dual-Core, Quad-Core, Octo-Core or Septendec-Core CPU’s.

Please note that this is an Experimental Build. It is likely to be less stable and less performant (though still more performant than 0.11!) than the version that will be soon released to all Steam users.

You can access the Beta branch by right-clicking on “Species: Artificial Life, Real Evolution”, selecting “Properties”, then opening the “Betas” branch and selecting “experimental – Unstable Experimental Builds” from the drop down.

At the moment, 0.12.0 adds no features or tweaks: it’s the same game, but faster. In addition to the obvious stability work, I will be polishing it in the coming weeks to make the survival strategies and body plans more varied and interesting, as well as see if I can make carnivory more viable.

Guineapig004

Re: 0.12.0 Released to Experimental Branch

Post by Guineapig004 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:03 am

Great job! Thus far, I can handle around 1.8 times the creatures!

Why so specific, I don't know...
"And fear struck the hearts of the dodos, as they realized they were being watched..."

Quasar
Site Admin

Re: 0.12.0 Released to Experimental Branch

Post by Quasar » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:32 pm

Hmm... it was a good call to add "Draw Bones" to the gene editor. I've been using it to debug the body physics. Issues there were more widespread than I realized, especially with the balance calculations.