0.11.0 Development Thread

Announcements and infodumps from the Species dev team.
Candy Wormhole

Re: 0.11.0 Development Thread

Post by Candy Wormhole » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:04 pm

Hey Q just popping in to let you know that there is some factor connecting time acceleration to survivability, at least on my Linux runs.
Whenever I have a largish population on x1 and then ramp it up to x3 or x10 there is a notable population crash. The degree of the population decrease also seems to be more severe on x10 than x3. Obviously I have no idea which of the million different things which affect creature survival is the culprit but I'd say it's worth investigating. Could other people post here if they have the same issue?

Otherwise the updates have been great! Keep it up!

PS: Whatever happened to "Ultra" mode? I always found it quite interesting to let a sim run as fast as possible and see what crazy stuff was still around.

Quasar
Site Admin

Post by Quasar » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:35 am

Some bug fixes: https://speciesdevblog.wordpress.com/20 ... /0-11-2-5/

And the much larger aesthetics and balance upgrade I forgot to mention here yesterday: https://speciesdevblog.wordpress.com/20 ... d-balance/
Candy Wormhole wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:04 pm
Hey Q just popping in to let you know that there is some factor connecting time acceleration to survivability, at least on my Linux runs.
Hmm. This could be a bug, or it could just be a result of the lower simulation fidelity (for example, on 1x speed a creature will move 1 unit forward 10 times. On 10x speed, they'll move 10 units forward 1 times. So they end up having to move just a little bit further to reach food, get out of water, etc).

More likely a bug, though. Unfortunately, these sorts of bugs are near impossible to track down. I'll just need to keep working and keep my eyes open.
Candy Wormhole wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:04 pm
PS: Whatever happened to "Ultra" mode? I always found it quite interesting to let a sim run as fast as possible and see what crazy stuff was still around.
Too many bugs. Got rid of it for the same reason I hung an "Out of Order" sign on the Web of Life recently. It may come back, but I've got a fair bit of refactoring to do first.

White parrot

Post by White parrot » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:03 pm

smjjames wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:51 pm
* Head Type "Eat Rate" will influence oxygen absorption, making the intermediate stage easier to survive for higher order organisms.
I still think the lung-gill system should be made into a parallel system rather than the way it is now, but It'll be interesting to see how well this helps with the sea-land transition.
Finally got to play recently. Used an old save file, which immediately suffered mass extinction (presumably the locals were dependant on some quirk of a previous version), which had the advantage of leaving only a few survivors with 0.9 to 1 aeroby -a useful point of reference. About thirty minutes of real-time play later at x10, evolutive radiation had produced a -0.1 anaeroby. Not a definite proof, but an encouraging result.
At this point, we shouldn't be surprised by anything nature does. She's like a meth addict whose drug-fueled rampages unfold in slow motion and span millions of years.
Silly Otter wrote:Welcome to the forum.
Please ignore the cultists.

Guineapig004

Post by Guineapig004 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:53 am

Hey, already pointed this out in an old suggestion, but would it be possible to add a delete button for worlds? It gets kinda annoying when you have a bunch of worlds you've gotten bored of, but can't delete. Thanks, and good work Qu!
"And fear struck the hearts of the dodos, as they realized they were being watched..."